Translate

I Was Never Writing About You

I Was Never Writing About You

There is something I have wanted to explain for a long time.

Not to one particular person. Not to settle an old story. Not to prove who was right or wrong.

Just to explain myself.

I have always found it easier to write than to speak. When something stays in my mind for too long, I write it down. Sometimes it becomes a paragraph. Sometimes a small thought. Sometimes an entire blog.

And most of the time, it has nothing to do with the people who might think it does.







When the past looks at the present

There was once someone from my past with whom things didn't end well. Eventually, I chose not to continue talking. Time passed, and life moved on.

Much later, there was an apology. I accepted it. I never wanted that person to carry guilt because of me.

Then, much later again, there was curiosity.

Why was I writing blogs? Was I still remembering? Were those words about her?

And strangely, that made me tense.

Not because I wanted the past back.

Because I was afraid it would become the past again.

I knew what it felt like when something went wrong. So when that chapter suddenly looked toward my present, my mind immediately prepared itself for another problem.

But the truth was much simpler.

I was writing about myself.

What I felt that day. What I was learning. What I was thinking. What I couldn't say aloud.

Writing had become my way of speaking when I couldn't find someone to speak to.

Not every word is a message

I think we sometimes make a mistake when reading someone else's words. We search for ourselves inside them.

We see a sentence and think, “Is this about me?”

Maybe sometimes it is.

But sometimes a person is simply writing.

Not every sad paragraph is about an old relationship. Not every picture is a hidden reference. Not every thought is a message sent through the internet.

Sometimes a person just had a feeling and needed somewhere to put it.

That is what my writing has been.

If someone from my past recognizes themselves in something I wrote, I cannot control that interpretation. But I know why I wrote it.

And perhaps that should be enough.

I wanted to be seen, but not watched

There is another strange contradiction in me.

I want my work to reach people. I want my words to exist somewhere beyond myself. I wouldn't mind if thousands of people read them.

But I don't want to constantly wonder who is watching.

I want to be known through what I create, without feeling personally exposed.

Maybe I want a quiet kind of presence.

Let the words be visible. Let the person remain quiet.

For a while, I thought the solution was to hide from certain people. Hide accounts. Separate things. Make sure people from the past couldn't see what I was doing.

Privacy is good. Boundaries are necessary.

But I slowly realized something else.

If I keep changing my present because I am afraid that someone from my past might see it, then the past is still controlling me.

The fear of the notification

Sometimes it isn't even someone from the past.

A random message can appear on my phone and I can feel tension before I even know what it says.

My mind starts asking questions before reality has given me an answer.

What do they want?

Why are they messaging me?

Is something going to happen?

Perhaps that is what old experiences leave behind. The person may be gone, but the reaction remains.

The past doesn't always return as a person.

Sometimes it returns as a feeling.

And I am learning that I don't have to obey that feeling every time it appears.

Some stories don't need another explanation

There comes a point when explaining yourself becomes exhausting.

You can write paragraphs. You can explain your intentions. You can tell someone exactly how their actions made you feel.

And still, they may understand the story differently.

So sometimes you stop.

Not because you were wrong.

Not because you have nothing left to say.

But because you understand that peace does not always come from being understood.

Sometimes it comes from no longer needing to explain yourself.

Let people remember you however they choose.

You know what you lived.

You know what you felt.

You don't have to keep returning to an old chapter just to convince someone that your version existed too.

The things people don't see

There is another part of my life that has taught me the same lesson.

I make things. I write things. I spend hours working on things that may look simple when they are finally finished.

People usually see the final page.

They don't see the hours behind it.

They don't see the corrections, the effort, the doubt, or the quiet moments when I wondered whether it was worth continuing.

Sometimes people won't understand the work.

Sometimes they may even laugh.

And yes, it hurts.

Not because I need everyone to appreciate me.

It hurts because I know the effort behind what they are looking at.

But I am learning not to measure the value of something by the reaction it receives.

The world sees the finished page. Only the person who made it knows the pages that came before it.

Maybe moving on is different from forgetting

I used to think moving on meant forgetting.

Now I don't think so.

Maybe moving on means remembering without being controlled by the memory.

It means being able to think about something that happened without allowing it to decide what happens next.

It means someone from the past can exist somewhere in your history without having a place in your present.

I don't need to hate anyone.

I don't need to prove that I have moved on.

I don't need the perfect comeback.

I don't even need everyone to understand me.

I just want to continue becoming myself.

So, if you ever read my words...

If you ever find yourself somewhere inside something I wrote, perhaps you are allowed to wonder.

But please know this:

I was never writing to reopen anything.

I was writing because I needed somewhere to place my thoughts.

I was writing for the person I was when I needed those words.

And maybe, someday, I will write for the person I am still becoming.

I can be seen without being exposed.

I can remember without returning.

I can care without reopening doors.

I can create without needing applause.

And I can let people misunderstand me without abandoning myself to correct them.

Perhaps that is what growing up quietly looks like.

You stop trying to control every version of your story that exists in someone else's mind.

You simply continue writing your own.

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.